Last month’s blog was about choosing to donate blood this year if you do not do so already. I’m sure that after you read that blog, you rushed out to book an appointment with your local Give Blood venue. Of course you did! Well, now you are all familiar with blood donation, here’s a little quiz for you!
True or false?
2. In one year, a male blood donor can give no more than how many donations per year?
a) 2 b) 4 c) 6
3. …and for women?
a) 3 b) 4 c) 6
4. The probability that a person will receive at least one blood transfusion in their life is what?
a) 10% b) 20% c) 25%
5. Blood donors must be how old?
a) 16 b) 18 c) 21
6. Can you contract any transmissible infection by donating blood?
Yes or no?
7. How long does it take the body to replace donated red blood cells?
a) 10 days b) 2-3 weeks c) 6-8 weeks
8. Who can be a donor?
a) A person weighing 50kg or more
b) A person who has recently undergone surgery
c) A pregnant woman
d) An organ transplant receiver
9. There are at least 4 blood groups.
True or false?
10. On average, the human body contains how much blood?
a) 1-2 litres b) 2-5 litres c) 4-6 litres d) 8-10 litres
11. Who discovered the ABO blood groups?
a) Dr A Hustin
b) Dr K Landsteiner
c) Dr N Bethune
d) None of the above
12. A blood donation takes how long?
a) 5-15 minutes
b) 16-25 minutes
c) 45 minutes – 1 hour
1) True 2) 6 3) 4 4) 20% 5)18 6) No 7) 6-8 weeks
8) A person weighing 50kg or more 9) True 10) 4-6 litres 11) Dr K Landsteiner
12) 5-15 minutes
1-3 correct answers: You can’t get blood from a stone
4-5 correct answers: You young bloods still have a lot to learn!
6-9 correct answers: What the blood!? That’s good!
10 correct answers or more: There has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get this score!